(translate with Babelfish)
The street Appia was the first one and the most important road built in Rome realized at the end of the IV century b.C. to connect the city with Capua. Its name derives from the consul Appio Claudio that it did her/it build; as for the other consolaris and generally in the zones out of the boundaries in Rome, in how much the burials were forbidden inside the city, the by he is studded of gravestones.
Can to visit the park of the Appia ancient consider him an itinerary also aspired by the so many Romans that, especially the Sunday, need of some green they have seasoned from the charm of the ancient one" queen viarum"; because the Sunday the inhabited line during the work days is open to the traffic while on Sundays can be walked in calm. (from the 9 to the 16 in the winter period and from the 9 to the 18 in spring-summer period)
The park can be visited with the archeobus, a foot or with the bicycles; to such intention there is the service of lease bicycles:
Point Informative street Appia Antica 58/60
From Monday to Saturday from the 9.30 at 13 o'clock.30 and from
the 14.00 to the 17.30 (16.30 in the winter period) and the Sunday and the days festive schedule had continued since 9.30 to the 17.30 (16.30 in winter).
Cost 3 Euro the time for the first three hours; 10 Euro the whole day (for information 06 5126314).
Committee for the Caffarella (Largo Tacchi Venturi) You Sunday from the 10 to the 18, cost 3 the time for the first 3 hours and 10 Euro the whole day (for information and bookings 06 789279)
Point Informative Egeria
open the Sunday.Summer schedule 9.30-18 winter schedule 9.30-16.30. Street of the Almone 105/107, ample parking lot.
Tor Fiscale sunday from the 10 to the 16. 3 Euro the time for the first 3 hours, 10 Euro for the whole day.For bookings 328 1623639 or 333 6891754.
Catacombs of St. Sebastiano
All the days excluded on Sundays; cost 3 Euro the time for the first 3 hours; 9 Euro the whole day (information 06 7850350).
Attention: in the work days from Door St. Sebastiano to Cecilia Metella the street Appia Antica is open to the traffic and don't exist suitable spaces for the pedestrians.
You recommends therefore to pass inside the Catacombs of St. Callisto whose entry is found to the intersection among street Appia Antica and street Ardeatina.
The itinerary can begin from the Sepulchre of the Scipionis, just before the Door St. Sebastiano: belonged to the family that gave the native to Scipione the African The sepulchre, drawn in a natural bench of cappellaccio, he was built in the first decades of the III sec. BC from the founder Lucio Cornelio Scipione Barbato, consul in 298 BC, whose sarcophagus in peperino (it deals with a copy, the original one is preserved to the Museums Vaticani) it is seen in dominant position the entry. The sepulchre has a quadrangular plant, with four galleries on the sides and two perpendicular to the center; along the inside walls they found place 32 sarcophagus.
The monumental face, systematized by Scipione the Emiliano in the II sec. B.C., was constituted by a tall platform on which they opened three symmetrical entries and he introduced three niches that had to entertain statues of the poet Ennio, Scipione the African and Scipione the Asian
The Colombario of Vigna Codini (Street Appia Antica 13), it was instead a building for community burials, it is to the first imperial age: in the three rooms they had been mails more than 1000 containing urns the ashes of the dead ones together with some sarcophagus.
Arc of Druso, immediately sets before the Door S. Sebastiano, it is in reality one of the arcades of the aqueduct Antoniniano he was made to realize from Caracalla to feed his Thermal baths. During the restauration wanted by Onorio the arc he was englobed with Door S. Sebastiano in a sort of defensive castle.
You comes therefore to Door Appia, note from the Middle Ages as Hands St. Sebastiano: the actual aspect goes up again to the epoch of the Greek-Gothic war (halves the II century BC). Inside the building there is today the Museum of the Boundaries (Street of Door St. Sebastiano 8, tel. 06 70475284) container plastic of the fortifications and of the boundaries in Rome, from which it is accessed the slopes of the Boundaries Aureliane.
Around 100 more meters before, we meet on the right the copy (the original one is in plaza of the Capitol today) of the first "cippo miliario" (stone of miles) of the Appia: it signalled the distance of a Roman mile (1478 ms) from the Door Capena.
Always in the street the Church of the Quo Vadis rises, place where, according to the tradition, St. Pietro that ran away persecuted by Nerone would have had the vision of Jesus that he invited it to return back.
To the height of the alternative between the Appia and the Ardeatina, the access is found to the Catacombs of S. Callisto (Street Appia Antica 126, tel. 06 5130151) The Catacombs of S. Sebastiano (Street Appia Antica 136) they are found few over, under the Basilica of S. Sebastiano: the actual basilica occupies only the central part of the great rounded building, made to build for the Christian cult from the emperor Costantino (IV century); the modern sacristy and the box-office are in the ancient ambulatory, as the antiquarium prepared in the external apse of the basilica (visit on permission).
proceeding along the road, on the left, he reaches the pronao of the Mausoleum of Romolo (Street Appia Antica 153, tel. 06 7801324): the great building, devoted to Romolo, child of the emperor Massenzio, the center of a great open space was found to encircled by a quadriportico, of which the wall leading and some pillars are seen.
Next to the mausoleum there is the Circus of Massenzio:
Address: street Appia Antica, 153
Telephone: 06.78.01.32.4 schedule: 9-20. Closed Monday
Built in bricks and tufo the circus it does it departs of one of the more important monumental complexes of the city since he has reached us under the best conditions. The building is long 513 meters and breadth 90 and she could contain up to 10mila people. The central area was adorned by statues and by the obelisk of set Domiziano, then, in Navona plaza. A gallery connected Imperial Building to the imperial stage, sets on the left side of the staircases.
The itinerary continuing the Mausoleum of Cecilia Metella is visible (Address: street Appia Antica, 161 Telephone: 06.78.02.46.5 schedule: 9-18. Closed Monday)
it deals with the grave of the daughter of Quinto Cecilio Metello Cretico and wife of his child of Crass, triumviro with Pompeo and Caesar between 60 and 53 to.C.
The actual battlement, with which it finishes the grave, goes up again to 1302 when the Caetani ones made of the mausoleum the mastio of their adjacent medieval castle, other known name in fact it is: castle Caetani.
The whole complex has been restored and the inside is turned to museum (it brings the history of the street during the centuries).
From here in before numerous ruins they are followed: Marco Servilio grave, a construction dictates grave of Seneca, a round mausoleum, the grave of the children of Sesto Pompeo Giusto with the great epigraph in verses.
On the right side other famous graves are preserved: the sepulchre of Saint Urbano, the grave of the Licinis, the Grave Dorica, that of Ilario Fusco, of Tiberio Claudio Secondino and of Quinto Apuleio.Other sepulchres can be admired, overcome the intersection with street it Erodes Attic: the Tumult of the Curiazis, datable between the end of the Republic and the beginning of the empire, more before the Tumults of the Orazis; this zone is tied up to the memory of the legendary fight among the Orazis and the Curiazis, that were faced in this zone, to the time of king Tullio Ostilio. The clash was worth in Rome the supremacy on Alba Longa and on the Lazio.
We continue up to the civic 1092 where the Ninfeo of the Villa of the Quintilis
can be visited:Telephone: 06.71.82.27.3 schedule: winter 9-15.30, summer 9-17.30. Closed Monday
introduces him in a great hemicycle with niche on the fund, the part of the great domus belonged to the family of the Quintilis Dopo the rests of a thermal plant belonged to a villa the greatest mausoleum in the street said Appia Casal Rotondo it is perceived. The building of age augustea is formed from a cylindrical body, in origin dressed again in travertino, situated on a quadrangular plinth. Overcome the intersection with street of Casal Rotondo they are noticed, on the left, the rests of the aqueduct that it supplied of water the villa of the Quintilis.
A little anymore before it was found the mullion that marked the seventh mile of the road, that is nearby on the Capitol to the Aracoeli from 1848.
The run continues for around another mile with other rests until where the street begins Appia Nuova.
for further information visit the website of the park: www.parcoappiaantica.org